Sunday 3 April 2011

Books. Beautiful books.

I have a friend whose birthday came round at the start of March. As she's one of the friends who's always been supportive of my craft-based endeavours she has also had the misfortune of receiving many,ahem, experimental gifts. Kate, you never fail to be enthusiastic about the crap I give you, and I love you for it.

Anyway, this year I thought the limit had been reached, so I hit folksy to see what I could find that wasn't knitted or bead-based, and I found the definitive answer in the shape of one Kate Bowles and her fantastically beautiful books.

I love these books for two reasons: firstly because of the elegant reuse of beer mats and old shirts, and secondly for the pride in her craft that Kate shows by making the binding visible. There's something beautiful in laying out the mechanism by which a thing is held together, particularly when that mechanism is so attractive in it's own right.

Her shop can be found here:

2 comments:

  1. I mean here: http://www.folksy.com/shops/KateBowles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there
    just popped by to say thanks for the lovely comment and found this post. The Book is gorgeous and though I am sure your friend would have loved all the work you put into her personal presents, I would guess she will love this too.
    Jenny x

    ReplyDelete